Seasonal Winter Juice
1 bunch spinach
3 stalks of celery
Handful of each mint and parsley
Juice of 1 lime
Handful of speed well- leaves and flowers are medicinal
Juice the above ingredients and enjoy over ice. When slow juicing enzymes last up to 3 days.
This weed is known by the names of - Birdseye Speedwell, Veronica Persica, gypsy weed
This weed is of abundance in winter time and grows in rich soil of lawns or overgrown patches of grass. For such a tiny weed it has powerful healing and medicinal properties. Speedwell is named after its ability of fast healing.
Medicinal Properties include:
• used by gypsies as a blood purifier
• removes excess mucus, soothe internal tissues, treat coughs, asthma, pleurisy
• a tea made of speedwell is used to clear sinus congestion, help eyesight and ease sore eyes.
I had a swollen top eyelid and sore eye - bathing it with speedwell healed it quickly
• goes to areas of tension, especially the neck and shoulder areas and helps relax the muscles
• externally to treat skin rashes, inflammation
• contains chlorophyll, minerals, vitamins, protein, antioxidants and is another plant easy to find in the garden to add to your smoothie or chop up finely and add to salads or make a pesto.
A handful of speedwell brought to the boil and steeped - drink as a tea or use cotton wool to dab one’s eyes as I did.
Sourced from http://www.wisdomseekers.co.nz
Gypsy weed song
Speedwell to travellers!
And speedwell is me.
My roots keep me from travelling,
As you can see.
Yet all those who travel
With their feet on the ground
Have noticed I've spread
The whole world round.
I'm too small to spy
From a car or a plane.
Yet, see me or not,
I'm here just the same.
So go on your travels.
And though they may say, "God speed,"
Don't pass by the gifts
Of the wise Gypsyweed.
Search by ingredient and season